Monday 20 July 2015

Week 1 Training

WOW!!  I completed week one of the training tonight.  Each week consists of 3 days of training that incorporates walking and jogging in intervals over a 30 minute period.  YAY ME!

I have always kept myself active.  I compete in curling in the winter and play beach volleyball in the summer.  This year I'm even coaching soccer for under 11 girls.  This is a challenge for me because I don't normally do long distance running.  I'm more about interval training....this will be interesting.

Week 1, Day 1

I can't believe I'm actually doing this...what was I thinking?  Running 5 Km when I really don't enjoy running at all.  These were my thoughts on day 1 of training.  I dragged my butt out of bed and put on the app.  I started with a 5 minute walk to warm up.  While walking I realized it was a very pleasant morning outside.  The sun was shining and it wasn't too hot or too cold.  Just as I was starting to settle in on the wonderful walk...."start running for 1 minute" blared through the headphones.  I started to jog and realized that it wasn't so bad.  This pattern of walking and jogging continued for the remainder of the 30 minutes while I smiled at my neighbours walking their dogs and jogging themselves.  Before I knew it, the 30 minutes was over and I was actually feeling really GOOD!  

Maybe I can do this afterall....

Week 1, Day 2

After a full day of work, I was not motivated to go out for training.  All I wanted to do was curl up on the couch with a book and veg out.  However, I have challenged myself to completed a 5 Km run so I must not fall into my old patterns.  As I pulled out the app, I thought to myself...How fitting that the app is called couch 25K.  With that giggle, I set out for the second day of my training.  As I went through the 30 minute training session, I found myself counting down the number of times I had to jog.  In fact after the last jogging session, I decided to skip the walking and continue jogging until the notice to cool down!  I felt pumped when I got home.  Took at shower and headed out to spend time with a friend.  I was in such a magnificent mood!!!  

Week 1, Day 3

Due to my hectic schedule, I didn't get to training day 3 for a few days.  I came home from work and decided that I was going to do this.  The weather was really hot but the sun was setting so it was a little cooler.  I messaged Carrie to let her know I was going for my run as we are holding each other accountable.  I opened the door, stepped outside and thought...."OH MY GOD IT'S HOT!!"  I sucked it up and started the warm up.  As I was walking, I passed some joggers and people walking their dogs.  Funny how I don't remember seeing these people when I did my run on Day 2.  I've come to the realization that my neighbourhood is full of active people and I had no idea!  As I was nodding and smiling at others out and about, I forgot about the heat and let myself enjoy the feeling of being out and letting go.  I actually found myself getting frustrated when the app told me to walk because I just wanted to keep going.   In the end I kept jogging after the last session of jogging like I did in Day 2.  When I walked into my house, I was dripping with sweat and could feel my legs starting to cramp up.  I drank water, stretched out and took a shower. 

After my shower, I had a glass of chocolate milk and a banana.  A personal trainer friend of mine told me that was one of the best things to eat/drink after a work out as the potassium is required for the muscles.

WHOOO HOOOO!!!  I have completed week 1 of the training and I feel motivated by my accomplishment.  Week 2....BRING IT BABY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment